Monday, January 5, 2015

Are you a CONTENDER?

I find that many people I meet and talk to say that they know the Lord and I wonder if that is just in name only.  It is a mindset that that we are all good and we know the name of the Lord is the ticket for having faith.  This is misconception of what faith truly is.  J.R.R. Tolkien, one of my favorite authors has said, "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."  We cannot have faith as a light switch that is turned off and on at a moment's notice.  With many cases, our faith may be in the "OFF" position.

I believe that when we read the Scriptures we find that faith is often partnered with trust.  Many who have known the Lord and may have placed their faith in Him often still do not trust in Him.  Proverbs 3:5-6 gives us great wisdom in placing our trust in the Lord and Luke 9:23 gives a command in discipleship at the beginning to "deny myself" which would be placing my complete faith and trust in the Lord for all things.

Looking at Isaiah 43, we find the Israelite's in captivity and the simple reason for this is that they lost their faith in God.  They had abandoned God in their relationship with Him.  But God still desired a relationship with them - it was part of their covenant agreement,  God declares who He is, what He had done for them in the past, but also declares that He will do something new for the future.  If they would return, He would care for them as He did in the past.  If they would have faith and trust in Him no matter what there will come time of refreshment and renewal.

In Jude, we read in the third verse that we are to "contend earnestly for the faith."  This gives me an idea that faith is something that I fight for daily to keep fresh in my life so that I will not abandon it.  When I read of the struggles the Israelite's had in the Old Testament, they should be lessons for me to "contend" even more, trusting in the Lord and placing my faith in Him everyday.  What are you fighting for in your faith?

-Sleepy Disciple  


No comments: